Expert Advice: Embracing new generation Barbie Girl hair
Hair expert and colourist Andrew Smith advises how to achieve this summer’s boldest and statement-making pink hair colour trend.
Step aside traditional hair colours, there's a new hue in town that's captivating hearts and turning heads: Barbie pink hair.
Inspired by the iconic doll that has charmed generations, this whimsical trend is taking the world of fashion by storm. With the Barbie movie being released and celebrities sporting the look, clients are now starting to embrace the look themselves and experimenting with barbie pink hair tones to create a stunning and eye-catching hair look.
Barbie pink hair is all about embracing a sense of fun, youthfulness and unapologetic femininity. This captivating shade evokes memories of childhood play and whimsical fantasies, allowing clients to express their vibrant personality and add a touch of magic to their everyday lives. The boldness of Barbie pink exudes confidence, daring individuals to break free from societal norms and embrace their true selves.
The journey to achieving Barbie pink hair is an exciting and transformative process. As colourists, it's important that we create the perfect canvas for this vibrant shade and start the colour process by bleaching the hair. Then, the pink dye/toner can be carefully applied in a tone of the client's choosing. I also always recommend following this up with a treatment to ensure the pink looks its very best and to repair the hair after the colour process.
Barbie pink hair is not for the faint of heart. It's a statement-making colour that demands attention and invites curiosity. By adorning their locks with this striking shade, clients are signalling to the world that they're unafraid to stand out, break conventions and challenge the status quo. It's a celebration of individuality and an invitation for others to embrace their own unique style.
Get creative with soft pastels and bold neons
Barbie pink hair is not limited to a singular style or aesthetic. This captivating shade lends itself to a wide range of creative possibilities. From soft pastel hues to vibrant and electrifying neon tones, Barbie pink can be customised to suit any skin tone, hair length or personal preference. Whether paired with edgy pixie cuts, flowing mermaid waves or intricate braids, Barbie pink hair effortlessly adds a touch of whimsy and charm to any hairstyle.
If a client does not want to opt for an all over Barbie hue and instead is looking for a subtler take on the trend, they can experiment with pastel hues or by adding slices or highlights of pink through their hair for a more low-key finish.
1. Use a colour-safe shampoo and conditioner: Look for products specifically formulated for colour-treated hair. Avoid using harsh shampoos that can strip the colour and opt for gentle, sulphate-free options. The Milkshake Color Maintainer Shampoo and Conditioner are two of my favourites.
2. Wash hair less frequently: Frequent washing can cause colour to fade more quickly. Try to extend the time between washes to preserve the vibrancy of your pink hair. When they do wash, advise they use lukewarm water as hot water can strip the colour.
3. Use cold water for rinsing: After shampooing and conditioning, rinse hair with cold water. Cold water helps seal the hair cuticle, locking in the colour and adding shine.
4. Avoid heat styling tools where possible: Excessive heat can fade hair colour, so minimise the use of heat styling tools like straighteners, curling irons, and blow dryers. If they must use heat, advise they apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.
5. Protect hair from the sun: Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause hair colour to fade, so if your client is spending time in the sun, suggest they wear a hat or use a UV-protecting hair product.
6. Use colour-depositing products: Clients can maintain the vibrancy of pink hair by using colour-depositing products like shampoos, conditioners or hair masks designed specifically for maintaining pink or coloured hair. These products help to refresh the colour between visits to the salon. One of my favourite pink hair colour products is the Milkshake Colour Whipped Cream in Light Pink.
7. Limit chlorine exposure: Chlorine in swimming pools can cause colour to fade or even change. To protect pink hair, clients should wet their hair with clean water before swimming and wear a swim cap. After swimming, they should rinse hair thoroughly and use a clarifying shampoo to remove any chlorine residue.
8. Schedule regular touch-ups: Pink hair requires maintenance to keep it looking fresh. Schedule regular touch-ups at the salon to keep the colour vibrant and avoid visible roots. Ensure clients are aware that the longevity of their pink hair colour will depend on various factors including their hair's condition, and how well they care for it.